Thursday, March 19, 2009

The argument against Altruism

If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say the government doesn’t do enough to help people I would be in a higher tax bracket. I especially hear this around the issue of healthcare.

The other day I had a conversation with someone who said the government should provide free healthcare to everybody. I answered by saying, how about we go down to the bank and open an account so you can contribute money to pay my health care costs since I don’t want to pay for insurance anymore. She looked at me with a puzzled look in her eye. I continued, what’s wrong with that? Do you really think there is any difference between me demanding you pay my costs or the government demanding it? I cannot use force to make you do it without violating the law but the government can. Such is the essence of providing free healthcare to everyone.

The moral to this story is giving people things for nothing is an act against freedom since it uses force to violate the rights of others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

quite interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter.